Grants for College Housing

For students choosing to live on-campus while attending school, the cost for room and board is expensive and one way to alleviate this financial burden is to receive grants for college housing. Grants for college housing are not easy to come by and the best places to find them is through state-sponsored government grants or general grants that, in addition to tuition or other school costs, are to be used towards room and board. Also, talk to your campus financial aid office to find out about any possible college housing grants they may offer. 

Grants or Scholarships for College Housing

1. Massachusetts State College Building Authority Housing Grant

This grant offers financial aid to on-campus students attending Bridgewater State College who demonstrate financial need.

2. Emerging Leader Scholarship

Eligible candidates for this scholarship to be used towards housing costs must file a FAFSA. Recipients can earn between $1,500 and $3,000 in scholarship award money provided they are undergraduate students at Virginia Polytech Institute & State University and members of the Corps of Cadets.

3. Junior/Senior Grant

The Junior/Senior Grant offers an award maximum of $1,000 to Central Christian College returning juniors or seniors. There are an unlimited number of these grants available and the money must be used for room and board costs.

4. National Oratorical Contest Scholarship

The American Legion funds this scholarship that offers a minimum award amount of $1,500 and a maximum of $19,000 to the high school student who wins the competition. The scholarship must be used for school costs including room and board.

5. Room & Board Scholarship

Jacksonville University in Florida offers this Room & Board scholarship to select students provided the applicants do not receive other scholarship money from Jacksonville University. Award money is based on the student’s financial need.

6. ROTC Room & Board Scholarship

The ROTC Room & Board Scholarship is available to students attending Texas A&M University in Kingsville who are studying at the undergraduate or graduate level. Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA, a minimum combined SAT score of 970 and be enrolled in the ROTC program at Texas A&M.

Grants for College Housing: A Rare but Worthy Find

The amount of grants for college housing are few in number and often the funds are limited and grant awards are modest, however every little bit helps when it comes to paying for a higher education so be sure to check with your state government, financial aid office and the federal government for opportunities for aid. To browse for other grants or scholarships you might be eligible for, check out Student Aid on the Web.

Sources:, Student Aid on the Web