Happy Presidents’ Day! Since most of you probably have the day off, now is a good time to start searching for scholarships! Here are some tips to help you with your search:
- Don’t wait until your senior year of high school to start searching for scholarships. It is a time- consuming process that requires research. Search for scholarships from your community and state, the school you’re interested in, and any religious organizations or other groups that you may be involved in.
- Don’t just apply for higher paying scholarships – a bunch of smaller scholarships can really add up! Apply to any and all scholarships that you are eligible for.
- Market yourself in your applications and essays. Positively showcase yourself and your life experiences. Scholarship sponsors are looking for well-rounded individuals involved in their community, sports, or extracurricular activities.
- Thoroughly answer the essay question that was asked. Don’t write about unrelated topics.
- Proofread your scholarship applications and essays thoroughly. You don’t want some grammar errors or typos to mess up your chances at a scholarship.
- Send in all requested materials. Some scholarships want letters of recommendation, others want essays, and some will require both.
- Make copies of all your paperwork – essays, transcripts, and applications. It will help you keep track of the scholarships you already applied to, and in case you need to reference or resend anything, you will have it readily available.
- It may be helpful to create a spreadsheet with sections for the name of the scholarship, the deadline, requirements, contact information, and important links to organize your progress.
- Don’t miss the deadline! Send things out early, since they may take longer than you expect to arrive at their destinations.
- Send your application by registered or certified mail. You will have a receipt and be able to track its progress so you know when it has arrived.
Remember to start your scholarship search early – scholarships help pay for your education, so apply to as many as you can!