Diploma mills are organizations that award fake degrees to individuals who haven’t taken classes or done any work. Nowadays, people are looking for the easiest way to gain credentials that they can use towards their career advancement, and that is why diploma mills continue to remain in business.
There are two kinds of diploma mills – diploma mills that sell fake degrees for cash, and diploma mills that pretend to be real accredited schools.
Recently US Congressmen unveiled legislation that aims to stop diploma mills. The bill is part of a much needed effort to stop unauthorized colleges and degrees, and intends to:
- establish federal law definitions for diploma mills and accreditation mills
- bar federal agencies from using diploma mill degrees to provide jobs that are dependent of the person’s education credentials
- have the Federal Trade Commission define and crack down on diploma mills
The bill is further explained in an Inside Higher Ed article.
It has been hard to prosecute diploma mills, and the individuals who purchase false degrees, without a legal definition of what one is. The new legislation would define a diploma mill as any organization that is not accredited by an agency that is recognized by the U.S. Education Department, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or authorized to give postsecondary degrees by the state government. The new legislation will also make passing off a fake degree as an accredited diploma a crime.
Individual states are also considering bills to stop using phony academic credentials. For example, unauthorized schools will be prohibited from using words like college, university, or state in their names.
Things to remember:
- Receiving an education requires lots of time, hard work, and taking examinations and classes.
- Although you usually do have to pay for schooling, you never just pay and instantly receive a diploma.
- Make sure the online degree you are considering is being offered from a legitimate accredited school – you can now get in trouble with the law for purchasing them!
Although obtaining a degree from a diploma mill seems like a quick and easy alternative, it is not worth it in the long run. Find an online degree program that suits your individual needs and goals for the future, and save yourself time and money from being scammed by diploma mills!